Wednesday, July 15, 2009

HBP: Oh the disappointment


From start to finish, “Half-Blood Prince” was an infuriating mess.

Don’t get me wrong – the movie had its high points. The special effects were spectacular – including the quidditch scenes. Some of the acting was excellent.

Rupert Grint, especially, got to spread his wings as a comic actor. Emma Watson gave yet another solid performance as Hermione. Unfortunately, Dan Radcliffe’s performance was marred by a poor script and even worse direction. But quite simply, the screenplay and filmmaking were dreadful.

Where should I start?

Well, the Hogwarts of HBP bore little resemblance to previous films. Needless changes were introduced. Dumbledore’s stone pensieve became a sleek, shiny metallic bowl. Draco Malfoy, for the most part, abandoned his Slytherin robes for a black Armani suit. The Burrow was no longer nestled in a green, pleasant landscape. Instead, it stood starkly in the middle of a reed-filled marsh.

And then, there was the overall look of the film – dark, muddled, and devoid of color.

But most foul was the storytelling.

Where should I start?

  • Well, for instance, we never knew that Dumbledore was dying.
  • We never saw the Dumbledore-Harry bond develop.
  • Dumbledore never clearly outlined Harry’s mission to destroy horcruxes.
  • Oh, and Harry was not immobilized and invisible on the lightning-struck tower. That means he stood by and watched his headmaster killed – without raising a wand to protect him.

Perhaps my disappointment will wear off, and I will come to appreciate the movie for what it is – a disjointed film with good special effects sprinkled with lots of humor.

But, right now, I’m so angry and disappointed that I can’t see straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment