Saturday, January 16, 2010

Throwing off my shackles ...

It amazes me how little I write. From 1986-2003, I worked in newspapers. And from 2004, I stayed in the publishing field -- writing, editing, and fact-checking. I also maintained a comprehensive blog on religious issues (my area of expertise in the newspaper business).


For my entire career in newspapers, I was a copy editor. I closely combed articles for errors and wordiness. I smoothed and homogenized. For me, editing was a craft. Writing must be controlled, precise, and fair. It was my job to ferret out personal opinion (otherwise known as "editorializing"). And I was good at it -- quickly and accurately spewing out copy. (In the business, we call it "pushing the pig through the python.")

My own writing has always been measured and moderate. It has never reflected the real me.

As I immersed myself in the Potter community, I wanted to connect with people. And so, I turned to YouTube. And suddenly, I realized that the written word had been a strait jacket. On camera, my vibrant, exuberant, intense self exploded. I could express intense emotions -- whether happy, funny, sad, or fierce. The tone of my voice, my gestures, my facial expressions allowed me to be who I really am.

And that, I think, is why I feel such a strong need to be on camera. Let this girl run free.

Writing may appeal to me some day. But I will no longer prod, push, or poke a pig through a python. Unless I can be myself, the page will be blank.

And I like it that way.

That felt good.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog! I can't do a video - I hate my voice. To each his own I guess!

    Thanks --

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have definitely found your voice in video. So keep them shackles off and dance, sing, expound, emplore, jest and keep sharing the you we love via video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally see where you're coming from. Writing used to be such an extreme form of expression to me till I found YouTube, but then of course, twitter also didn't help. Making me ADD to writing. I still of course, keep writing, as you know since I RP. Which is fun.

    Either way, I'm glad you found your perfect outlet. You're amazing on camera and I love watching your videos! Keep it up :) Run Free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being Queen Fuss Pot the Persnickety -- she's always in my head -- like a horcrux. She's just not very much ... hem hem ... fun.

    ReplyDelete